[LUG] Interesting situation...

A guy at work has come to me with an interesting situation...

He has a laptop on which he would like GNU/Linux installed (he wants SuSe,
but i'm trying to avoid RPM based if I can)

Problem, the CD drive is knackered... the machine can't boot from USB....

Is there an easy way I can load up a disk image (or similar) on to the
hard disk (which I have on a USB dongle right now) to plug in and install
a distro...? (I was pondering Ubuntu, and no I don't care what people say
about it not being "totally free")

Regards

Neil