Re: [LUG] Interesting situation...

Rob Beard wrote:
> Neil Stone wrote:
>
>>> What make laptop is it?
>>>
>>> Could you get work work colleague to come along to one of the meetings?
>>>

>>> I have a couple of laptop size CD-ROM drives I can bring along to the
>>> meeting on the 12th, I was thinking if we could get one to fit it might
>>> boot an Ubuntu or Debian CD.
>>>
>>> Rob
>>>

>> Its an advent I think... i got it working now... floppy based Debian
>> install... fun... brings memories back
>>

> I can't remember the last time I did a floppy install.  I know how
> frustrating it is though when you just can't find a working blank
> floppy.  I had a similar problem with a firmware update on an old Compaq
> server.  What got me was that Compaq didn't have a bootable CD image on
> their web site.
>
> Rob

Considering a lot of suppliers of PCs don't even put floppy drives into
base units anymore it's not entirely surprising they can't be bothered
to put floppy images onto their websites.  Having said that you could
have an external floppy drive, unless the BIOS is not bootable by USB in
which case you're also sunk.  With some laptps having REALLY lousy BIOSs
it's becoming a major problem.

Kind regards,

Julian