Re: [LUG] Plus ca change, plus ca meme chose!

Neil Williams wrote:

> How many of those affect Sarge? How many are going to make it into
> Etch? Bugs of all kinds are expected in unstable and some in that list
> only affect experimental. All security bugs are release critical -
> that's one reason why Etch is delayed.

Some do.

The one I mentioned has been moved to being a "policy issue", which
means it wouldn't stop Etch being released with this issue (Okay that
one is pretty minor in the scheme of things, members of group staff can
 escalate their privileges to root, but then group staff is for "IT
support staff you trust"), but worth bearing in mind just because an
issue arises from a policy, doesn't make it any less wrong (not saying
this specific policy is wrong, it is just illustrative of it's class).

I assume similar comments might apply to bugs assigned to other "pseudo
packages", I'm not up enough on Debian policies and procedures to spot
the flaws in them, but I assume if the package isn't in Etch, it won't
stop Etch releasing, even if it there is a relevant security issue,
unless there is a special check for it being relevant before release.

One interesting result of the Debian policy of not releasing packages
from unstable with security vulnerabilities, is that packages with known
security issues might make it into distributions based off Debian
unstable, if the authors of said distro weren't extremely careful.

Simon stares at his console based IRC client's security record and
hurriedly types "apt-get remove rhapsody", hmm, yep it seems to be in
the Ubuntu Universe. Of course they might have fixed all the problems
but you'd think they would have altered the version number if they had
done that. Launchpad doesn't seem to have imported/linked the relevant
Debian bugs. Anyone going to use their "apt" foo, and tell us what
proportion of packages in Ubuntu are too insecure to make it into Debian?

But Debian policy here affects only reported bugs. It is quite possible
for software to make it in without the necessary checks to detect
trivial issues with the code. Debian-audit is a remarkably quiet mailing
list, and I assume DDs aren't doing these things routinely (or at least
weren't historically, otherwise a lot of bugs (and software) would never
have made it in). Urm, I'm guilty here too, but not in any Debian
specific way :(

But Iceweasel on Debian Etch, with mozplugin, can be launching a whole
host of multimedia apps of varying degrees of quality. Microsoft only
try to make one browser secure (on only one platform, with only a small
number of their own multimedia apps). I'd be very surprised if Etch
desktops didn't have similar issues lurking to the Microsoft ANI issue,
although it is quite possible the diversity within Debian would prevent
it having similar broad exploit-ability to the ANI issue (assuming the
Etch desktop ever achieved enough market share to make it worth
exploiting on a wide scale).