Re: [LUG] What open source contributions have you made this week?

Tom Brough wrote:
> There is not much to tell, it mainly involves collecting computers
> cleaning mice / keyboards sys units and monitors, wiping hard disks or
> removing them altogether (since they are not necessary), flashing boot
> roms on NIC cards, packing them in boxes and remembering to lock the
> shed door afterwards. Its not glamours work, but its fun when you see
> pictures of kids in developing nations using the computers that you have
> recycled. And its nice to know that you are promoting GNU/Linux on the way.
>
> The greatest moment was managing to get a full mirror of Wikipedia
> (text) loaded and working on the hard drive of the server, I dont think
> I want to do that again, even though it gave kids access to wikipedia in
> an area with no broadband and only very limited dialup.
>
> We are hoping to ship approx 250 computers to distribute among the 22
> schools in the area. Work is slow, but things are progressing. If you
> know anyone willing to sponsor the 22 LTSP servers please let me know.
>
> Tom.

You could try the Gemini FM charitable trust.  I know they do fund
things like hardware etc although I'm not sure if part of the criteria
is that it has to be for the local community.

I'll drop the Geminni FM administrator an e-mail and see what she says.

Rob