Re: [LUG] What open source contributions have you made this week?

Darren Foster wrote:

>On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 20:58 +0100, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
>

>>>Only problem now is the teachers from the surrounding schools (22 in
>>>all) being impressed with what GNU/Linux has to offer (who would blame
>>>them for being impressed)  now all want similar LTSP configurations.
>>>22x10 = 220 + 22 servers. LTSP clients are easy (relatively) to find but
>>>finding 22 LTSP servers is another trick all together.
>>>

>>Tom, what is this project!? It sounds very interesting!
>>

>Yeppers I'm intrigued too? Sounds very interesting? Please tell...
>
>Darren

There is not much to tell, it mainly involves collecting computers
cleaning mice / keyboards sys units and monitors, wiping hard disks or
removing them altogether (since they are not necessary), flashing boot
roms on NIC cards, packing them in boxes and remembering to lock the
shed door afterwards. Its not glamours work, but its fun when you see
pictures of kids in developing nations using the computers that you have
recycled. And its nice to know that you are promoting GNU/Linux on the way.

The greatest moment was managing to get a full mirror of Wikipedia
(text) loaded and working on the hard drive of the server, I dont think
I want to do that again, even though it gave kids access to wikipedia in
an area with no broadband and only very limited dialup.

We are hoping to ship approx 250 computers to distribute among the 22
schools in the area. Work is slow, but things are progressing. If you
know anyone willing to sponsor the 22 LTSP servers please let me know.

Tom.