Re: [LUG] Linux Distributions

Mark Jose wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 March 2007 15:10, William Fidell wrote:
>> To hijack this away from Debian / Ubuntu slightly
>>
> I suspect most of us use/have used a range of different distros, I certainly
> have.
> Currently, I have the K/X/Ubuntu range, Mandriva,Debian, testing versions of
> Yoper, DSL on an older system plus several others which change as needed.
> Like you, I started with RedHat, then moved to Mandrake as a more "featured"
> system a little later.
> I ran a Gentoo box for some time, but it does need a lot of effort to keep it
> all up to date. Thats partly why I moved towards Apt based systems - so much
> easier to keep on top of.
> I would hope that as a group we can offer at least some assistance in most
> distros to new users.
>
> Mark

Probably is a large mixture.  Maybe our Debian / Ubuntu brothers and
sisters are more vocal? ;) And no reason why they shouldn't be.

These distro "wars", and vi v. emacs etc, are peculiar to linux and the
community.  They don't really help anyone.  Certainly not advocating
linux to new comers, who will probably get confused and turn to
microsoft and their one voice strategy.

Perhaps people would find the following approach more helpful:-

All linux is basically the same.  The all offer x advantages over
non-linux, and suffer y disadvantages.  The main flavours are x,y,z etc.

x has these pros, and these cons.  Support is rated good, user base is
high. Ease of use: easy
y has these pros, and these cons. Support is blah...
x has these pros, and these cons. Support is blah...

Bit simplistic I know. However, the information should be presented
without bias or bitching.

Two problems with this approach 1) no one would ever agree on a fair
rating. 2) The GUI interfaces and distro specific scripts are making
things different even if using the CLI is still pretty much the same.