Re: [LUG] Linux Distributions

On Tuesday 27 March 2007 16:25, William Fidell wrote:
> Perhaps people would find the following approach more helpful:-
>
> All linux is basically the same.  The all offer x advantages over
> non-linux, and suffer y disadvantages.  The main flavours are x,y,z etc.
>
> x has these pros, and these cons.  Support is rated good, user base is
> high. Ease of use: easy
> y has these pros, and these cons. Support is blah...
> x has these pros, and these cons. Support is blah...
>
> Bit simplistic I know. However, the information should be presented
> without bias or bitching.
>
> Two problems with this approach 1) no one would ever agree on a fair
> rating. 2) The GUI interfaces and distro specific scripts are making
> things different even if using the CLI is still pretty much the same.

Indeed! Trying to be objective without allowing personal preferences to cloud
things can be very hard!
Even something as fundemental as the package manager can be the cause of some
good "discussions" .
As you say, all distros are based on the same core ingredients, so it is
useful - and indeed very common - for newer users to change distro several
times before settling on one they prefer. I think that is a great way to
learn too - experience of different package managers, window managers etc is
always good.
For the really hard core new users, those who want to jump in at the deep end,
I would suggest Linux from scratch, followed by Gentoo perhaps.
For the user who simply wishes to try out Linux, then a live CD - preferably
based on one of the well known distros - such as (K)Ubuntu or Knoppix with
maybe Slax and the live Mandriva if that is still going as a few to check out
before commiting to wiping Windows or setting up a dual boot.
Ideally, a new user should check out the websites for the main distros - look
at the screenshots and the blurb, then wander over to their forums and see
the sort of response new users get when asking questions - that is often an
eye opener! Luckily, the days of "rtfm n00b" seem to be gone from most forums
but it pays to see how questions are dealt with - are the answers too
technical to follow for example.

Perhaps we need to get a few more reviews into the dclug review pages - they
are in the main quite out of date now. Of course, personal bias will probably
creep in, but a peer review is often a useful pointer to get started.
Must admit, I have not written a review of any of the distros I use for the
lug, so maybe I should give it a go.

Mark