Re: [LUG] getgnulinux.org

Robin Cornelius wrote:

> Surly free as in freedom gives ubuntu every right to do this if they
> so desire. If we turn around and say this should not happen isn't this
> the analogy of going from the far far right wing of politics to the
> far far left in one fell swoop when idealy we need to stop somewhere
> in the middle?

I'm not saying Ubuntu should be banned from doing this, I'm
saying people should not use, support, promote, advocate Ubuntu
because it does these things.

> Personaly i think saying thou shal not use binary drivers or firmware
> or software just alienates people. People want HW to work and often
> have it already and have not gone out after learning about linux and
> made an informed decision. I certainly can't afford to just chuck out
> my graphics card because i can't do 3d without a binary driver.

I can't do 3d on my computer without a binary driver either. I
don't use 3d. People should be far more aware of the implications
using non-free drivers have.

> what i have done on the other hand
> is help open up an entire wireless chipset. I have spoken to the
> manufactures in tawian directly, Forget the OEMS like DLINK ASUS etc,
> i spoke to who they get there stuff from. They gave the project
> datasheets, they opened there example code for us. We have a driver
> thats now in the mm kernel tree.

That's fantastic. We need more of that.

> I believe i do my bit to help the whole free software thing, and have
> indirectly helped a lot of people move to a GPL driver from either NO
> driver or a properity one. I think this is the way to do it, small
> steps but lots of them from lots of people.

I think you can certainly say you've done your part. All I'll say
is thank you.

matt