Re: [LUG] getgnulinux.org

On 3/26/07, Matt Lee <mattl@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> james kilty wrote:
> > On Sun, 2007-03-25 at 13:22 +0100, Matt Lee wrote:
> >
> >> There are several good reasons to not promote Ubuntu to anyone.
> >
> > Please will you summarise them.
>
> Sure.
>
> Ubuntu:-
>
> * Promotes proprietary software
> * Distributes proprietary software
> * Is planning to ship with binary drivers turned on by default
> * Believes more in market share than in the free software community
> * Is joining forcing with Linspire to make proprietary codecs
> available

Surly free as in freedom gives ubuntu every right to do this if they
so desire. If we turn around and say this should not happen isn't this
the analogy of going from the far far right wing of politics to the
far far left in one fell swoop when idealy we need to stop somewhere
in the middle?

Personaly i think saying thou shal not use binary drivers or firmware
or software just alienates people. People want HW to work and often
have it already and have not gone out after learning about linux and
made an informed decision. I certainly can't afford to just chuck out
my graphics card because i can't do 3d without a binary driver.

While i do use some non free stuff what i have done on the other hand
is help open up an entire wireless chipset. I have spoken to the
manufactures in tawian directly, Forget the OEMS like DLINK ASUS etc,
i spoke to who they get there stuff from. They gave the project
datasheets, they opened there example code for us. We have a driver
thats now in the mm kernel tree.

I believe i do my bit to help the whole free software thing, and have
indirectly helped a lot of people move to a GPL driver from either NO
driver or a properity one. I think this is the way to do it, small
steps but lots of them from lots of people.

--
Robin Cornelius
http://www.byteme.org.uk