[LUG] RxTx on Ubuntu

Hi

Was going to Head this "Me Train sets Broke".  Anyway having switched to
Ubuntu from Debian on my main computer, not the lappy, I still am having
problems interfacing to my serial port.  It was all working under Debian but
I now have problems.

I think I may have screwed up by trying to many things at once.   My Debian
set up I did myself, on Ubuntu I downloaded Java using the (debian?)
repositories.  I then hand fitted the RxTx stuff.  And - as it was still not
working - then downloaded RxTx from the repositories.

However my question, surely all I need to do is download Java j2sdk1.4 (which
includes the jre) and librxtx-java from the repositories and it all should
work?  I do not need to configure anything (except chmod ttyS0 and 1 and edit
group to add me to uucp).

I ask this so I can get some input before trying a fresh install on my back up
computer which is running both Debian and Ubuntu).

Thanks in advance

Peter