Re: [LUG] RxTx on Ubuntu

(I am having no luck in selecting my serial port from a java application).

On Friday 23 March 2007 12:47, Simon Waters wrote:

> On Debian all you need to control ttyS0 is for the relevant users to be
> in group dialout.

Hi Simon

I am a member of both dialout and uucp.  I think this is a bit relevant to the
long running thread on "other matters".   Unfortunately I can get no answer
on this question, I have tried the ubuntu group, to no avail.  I had the
thing working with Red Hat and with Debian.  Perhaps part of the problem is
that Java has been upgraded.

Perhaps some one could tell me which USB to Serial I should purchase for the
lappy (My Keyspan is unsupported by ubuntu and  I have searched for a
chipless one (as suggested) to no avail (I also can not understand how one
would work (as it must have an address)but I am no expert)).  If they could
also tell me what to download I could bring it all along to the next meeting.

As an aside both rxtx stuff and sun java are in the repositories.  Indeed I
got as far as getting a message telling me I should be in group uupc, that
was it.  (The computer then died (I was in hack mode) allowing me no access
as root! Luckily it was the play partition of my back up computer.)

In the mean time I will have to use windows, which is a pity as it is on show
to other club members and will be on show to the public in August at the
Plymouth show.

Thanks in advance

Peter