Re: [LUG] Ethernet hub recommendation

james kilty wrote:

> Dynamode 8 Port 10/100 Hub Switch N-way - Desktop
>
> for £10. Does this seem OK?

The only Dynamode kit I have is a dirt cheap 10base2 hub from years gone
by. Even then the device was available in the same plastic finish from a
lot of suppliers, so I guess they just badge whatever comes out of the
factories.

I don't think there is a lot to choose in these low end hubs. I would
say try scrounging one on the list first!

> At the other end of the house I could do a
> similar job for my wife's work computer, her work printer and a wireless
> router for her laptop when she works from bed (she is disabled). At the
> moment we have to move the ethernet cable from her desktop to the
> wireless router. It would be nice to use either printer independently of
> the office computers.
>
> Is it easy to connect the printers in via an ethernet-printer connector
> cable of suitable form?

Not sure I follow the question.

If the printer has an ethernet port, they typically present as a Unix
network printer (along with any specific drivers supplied by the
manufacturer), so if you have a driver for the printer normally you are
away on Unix like systems.

Or do you mean the printers doesn't have an ethernet port?