Re: [LUG] Sound problem.

James Wonnacott wrote:
> Robin Cornelius wrote:
>
>> artsd kde's sound server I bet, it hogs the /dev/dsp device as it
>> expects other apps to talk through it. I think you are using the OSS
>> driver and alsa is not even doing anything here. Alsa is better behaved
>> than that (and dosn't present a /dev/dsp by default,unless you have the
>> alsa-oss emulation layer which simulates a OSS device using an asla driver).
>>
>> Just for a laugh, (i think you use kde?) in the kde -> control center ->
>> sound & multimedia -> sound system. try selecting alsa and oss and
>> trying a sound test see if either works.
>
> I tried oss and alsa, not a squeak.
>
> this seems odd to me:-
>
> j1@j1-laptop:~$ sudo cat
> /usr/src/alsa/alsa-utils-1.0.13/speaker-test/samples > /dev/dsp
> bash: /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
>
> But nothing seems to be using it!
>
> j1@j1-laptop:~$ sudo lsof | grep /dev/dsp
> j1@j1-laptop:~$ sudo fuser /dev/dsp

fuser /dev/snd/*
fuser /dev/sound/*

I had a similar problem with firefox/flash- it turned out that it was
using some file in /dev/sound, but apparently not /dev/dsp.

Try stopping arts, or better still, stop all graphical programs
(actually, reboot into a non-graphics mode (add 1 to your kernel line)
for this, since sound is notorious for continuing to get in the way
despite being apparently stopped).

Then make sure the module is loaded and the volume is set right and run
aplay [some wav file].

Hope this helps
Simon