Re: [LUG] Sound problem.

On 2/9/07, James Wonnacott <jwon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Robin Cornelius wrote:
>
> > Do you have any other mixers running eg kmix on kde could these be muted?
> >
> > Can you find a alsa wave player and try playing a wave file directly using this.
> >

> Thanks for the quick response Robin.
>
> No, the only other mixer installed is kmix and it is not muted either.
>
> It seems it will not work with wave files either, or with microphone input.
>
> The interesting thing is that it doesn't seem to know the sound isn't
> working- no errors in logs etc and alsa control reports that all is ok.
>
> I've also checked the mute and volume controls built into the laptop "F"
> keys and they are all ok.

in alsamixer do you have any other "special" fader controls, sounds
like a strange question but on my old sound blaster i had a load of
post routing faders that could do horrible things and stop the sound
completley or just force it all out of a surround speaker.

Out of intrest you don't have a OSS sound driver running do you? What
dev entries do you have related to sound what does ls /dev/sound/ or
/dev/snd/ show you and do you have any /dev/dsp /dev/dsp1 etc entries.

If you do have a /dev/dsp what does "cat somewavefile.wav > /dev/dsp"
do (in fact you can use any file it just makes a horrible noise".

--
Robin Cornelius
http://www.byteme.org.uk