Re: [LUG] Sound problem.

Robin Cornelius wrote:

> in alsamixer do you have any other "special" fader controls, sounds
> like a strange question but on my old sound blaster i had a load of
> post routing faders that could do horrible things and stop the sound
> completley or just force it all out of a surround speaker.
Alsamixer has :-

   PCM    Front      Line      CD      Mic      IEC958  Capture  Capture

The first five  are on full and not muted. The last two are on 0, IEC958
seems to have no fader but is unmuted.

> Out of intrest you don't have a OSS sound driver running do you?

How do I find out?
What
> dev entries do you have related to sound what does ls /dev/sound/ or
> /dev/snd/ show you and do you have any /dev/dsp /dev/dsp1 etc entries.

j1@j1-laptop:~$ ls /dev/snd
controlC0  pcmC0D0c  pcmC0D0p  pcmC0D1p  pcmC0D2c  timer

j1@j1-laptop:~$ ls -l /dev/dsp
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 3 2007-02-09 16:24 /dev/dsp

> If you do have a /dev/dsp what does "cat somewavefile.wav > /dev/dsp"
> do (in fact you can use any file it just makes a horrible noise".

j1@j1-laptop:~$ cat /usr/share/sounds > /dev/dsp
bash: /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy

I wonder what's keeping it busy?

James