Re: [LUG] Windows Word and Open Office

Can I ask if you all have the same fonts loaded.? I have a lot of experience in the field working with Adobe and Kodak network printing to a variety of printers, we had to get users when using MS word to ensure the "fonts" were saved "inside the file" From MS Word Tools Options See below.

So tick the box save True Type fonts.  This ensured we were all in the same ball park!  Then make sure the Locale is all UK English, you would be surprised at how many IT Pros use US printer settings.  ie A4 and Not US Letter. Again in Tools Options

I havn't seen the same on OO Writer yet though. So you may need to standardise the fonts used with every one.  We found this was generally enough unless you had a Postscript Printer with some odd emulation of fonts, then you are stuffed!
Best of luck any way

On Thu, 2007-01-18 at 09:20 +0000, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> I am the (stand in) editor of a small magazine.  I use open office, everyone
> else uses Word.  So far I have had no real problems importing their word
> stuff.  However when I export my finished draft as a Microsoft Word .doc
> document other members of the committee find it comes out all other the place
> (the formating is lost).  Is there another format that Word can import that I
> should try?  (Or is the problem more basic like printer settings, but I would
> have thought that my document would force my settings on the other machine?)

Hmm...when you say comes out all over the place do you mean when they
print it?! If that's the case maybe just export it as a pdf and send
that to them.

Or if not send them all copies of OpenOffice!

Jon

--
Kevin Lucas <kevin.lucas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Minions Shop Cornwall's Top Shop