[LUG] Volunteers ? was Re: [Fwd: Open source gets European boost]

Jonathan Roberts wrote:

> Wow - BBC covering OSS software twice in a week!!

I wonder if the term "volunteer" is something we should de-emphasise?

OpenOffice.org may have been a volunteer effort in parts, but the bulk
of the work was done by paid programmers a long time before, and many of
the contributors were SUN employees.

I think the language is misleading. Or perhaps we should encourage
people to state more clearly whether a contribution was done on a
volunteer basis, or whether it was done as part of paid work, or some
combination.

There is a big difference between spending 40 hours fixing a program you
are paid to fix, and sending the result upstream, and spending 40 hours
of ones own time on it.

But also it paints a different picture to business when you discover
that a large proportion of the "volunteers" you rely on, are paid
professionally to write/use/test the free software they provide you with.