Re: [LUG] File Server

Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Obviously I got some differences of opinion when it comes to distro
> but putting this aside, can I just clarify what I have picked up.
> 1. Ram more important than cpu for a file server.
> 2. Rack or tower doesn't matter - noise is a factor.

With a rack mount system, you can put it in a rack and everything is
enclosed and neat.. it also cuts down on the noise heard by everyone in
the office..

> Some outstanding questions - maybe I didn't ask them?
> Do I need raid configured please?

Good idea if it's an option

> Should I get a fast sata disk (Neil talked about I/O being a blockage
> rather than cpu)?

Faster = better

> Can I run a server using 2 x 250 gig hard drives or would it be better
> to get one 500 gig hard drive?

Depends, 2x250Gb can be setup in RAID a lot easier than 1x500Gb. Also if
you get one disk failure it can be fatal.. but 1 x 500Gb is cheaper than
2x250Gb

> Should I use Intel rather than AMD? (I am told AMD might not be as
> reliable as Intel).

Personally I use AMD if I can, I have only even managed to toast Intel
CPU's..

> Back to the Mac thing. I know that the client will want a new box. So
> if I buy a new Mac box he will want to use the fact that you can run
> 'doze on the box and possibly even Linux. In short it won't be a file
> server, it will become a desktop as well. This is a big no as far as I
> can tell?

Is it a server or a desktop ?? Thats the question you need to be
asking.. if it is to be a server, you don't want people using the system
as their every day workstation just in case when they install some
update or other it either kills the box dead, or requires a reboot...

> Additional questions outside of the file server. What would you
> recommend in terms of ups and backup please? Backup would seem handled
> by dvd writer but would it be worth getting a hd caddy as well and
> rotate or even usb thumb drives?

Hard drive would be better IMO, USB flash only has a limited number of
writes, CDR/DVDR is write once.. can get expensive. Hard drives are
cheap enough these days.. You can purchase a USB caddy for a hard drive
cheaply, simply attach the "usb mass storage device" to the USB port and
backup.. speed issue, yeah, but it depends on how much data you wanna
backup.

HTH

Neil Stone

Systems Administrator