Re: [LUG] File Server

Hi All

Obviously I got some differences of opinion when it comes to distro
but putting this aside, can I just clarify what I have picked up.
1. Ram more important than cpu for a file server.
2. Rack or tower doesn't matter - noise is a factor.

Some outstanding questions - maybe I didn't ask them?
Do I need raid configured please?
Should I get a fast sata disk (Neil talked about I/O being a blockage
rather than cpu)?
Can I run a server using 2 x 250 gig hard drives or would it be better
to get one 500 gig hard drive?
Should I use Intel rather than AMD? (I am told AMD might not be as
reliable as Intel).

Back to the Mac thing. I know that the client will want a new box. So
if I buy a new Mac box he will want to use the fact that you can run
'doze on the box and possibly even Linux. In short it won't be a file
server, it will become a desktop as well. This is a big no as far as I
can tell?

Additional questions outside of the file server. What would you
recommend in terms of ups and backup please? Backup would seem handled
by dvd writer but would it be worth getting a hd caddy as well and
rotate or even usb thumb drives?

Many thanks for the help so far.
--
Rich