Re: [LUG] Microsoft + Novell = MicroVell

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 13:34:00 +0000
Jonathan Roberts <jonathan.roberts.uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Neil: You seem quite happy with openSUSE?

For now, yes - as long as opensuse follows the path of Fedora. I'm a
little dubious because the opensuse website makes a lot of "open
source" and doesn't mention "free software" at all. It's a watching
brief: I'm waiting to see how they react and how they deal with their
sponsor.

Fedora have proved that it can be done - and done well.

> Do you not think the problems
> related to Novell and Microsoft are also going to impact on the openSUSE
> community?

They don't have to, no. Whether they will is down to the opensuse guys.
The licences allow them to diverge - it remains to be seen if they will.

Distributions don't need sponsors, they certainly don't need
heavy-handed sponsors and SuSE was around *before* Novell. If Novell
mistreat opensuse, or are seen to have undue influence over things like
Windows interoperability, the opensuse developers will have to move
away from Novell or risk becoming a complete irrelevance to the
community.

Nothing harms distributions more than a lack of community support. Even
if the sponsor goes bankrupt, the distribution can (and will) survive
if the community want it to survive. *That* is the power of freedom and
the GPL licence in particular.

The GPL could be seen as a "fork licence" - it makes forks easy and
almost encourages forking as a solution to irreconcilable differences
within the development team.

If there is sufficient community support and opensuse *fails* to
distance itself from Novell properly, the community will probably
create FreeSuSE or similar, just to ensure that the freedom remains.
Mandrake was a fork of RedHat, Fedora is a fork of RHEL. Debian/Ubuntu
is a little different, that has the feel of a derivative (with two way
communication) but in essence, that is a fork too.

It happens more at the package level: Firefox <-> Iceweasel. Mambo <->
Joomla. Wordpress is a fork and has been forked itself.

> Afer all Novell really have a heavy influence in it's
> development - at least from what I can tell; Hence my comments about
> dropping openSUSE in favour of something else.

That influence does not have to remain. That's the strength of the GPL
- if someone tries to exert undue influence, the GPL encourages the
rest to go off and do something else: a fork.

The community has the last laugh. We get more choice and those who
would try to despoil our efforts get a reduced market share. Sounds
about right to me. :-)

> I feel really out of my depth in all these discussions and wish I
> understood more!!Still it's all an interesting read :-)

Start at the GPL FAQ:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

As ever, the licence is at the core of all the issues in free software.
Understand the licence and you understand the community - but remember,
if there is a disagreement between you and the community, the community
interest prevails. (as cdrecord -> wodim attests).

--

Neil Williams