[LUG] Open Source / JMRI

Hi Neil

Thanks for your letter, yes I am aware that you have been in contact with Bob.
However what I fail to see is why this is relevant in this case.  (I am not
implying your input was not important, but I do not think it has to do with
the current problem).  Surely the problem is that KAM industries is claiming
that they invented the system used (by both them and JMRI) to talk between
the computer and the command station.  And they go on to say that Bob must
pay them a royalty for every free copy of JMRI which has been distributed.

To my mind it is irrelevant who invented it first, as most software engineers
have the same "box of tools", and  presented with the same problem will come
out roughly with the same answer.

What worries me is that as we in this country seem only to import the bad
things from the US, so it will happen here.  One then has the vision of
anyone of us, sitting at home, writting a bit of code to solve a problem,
perhaps giving copies to friends, and then being hit by a big player.  (And
it appears that most of us end up paying up and shutting up, the risks of
taking on a large "whatever" are just to great for most of us.

I hate M$ bashing but  they have (a something) which is buying up software
patents and ideas and registering them.  (Using the broadest possible
language).

I feel the ramifications of the JMRI case will be felt throughout the US and
also here.  If he looses I think it will be a great blow to free software.

You ask what I have done, well as you can see from the terminology used in my
letter I am not "up to speed" on such things.  I have obviously contributed
to the "fighting fund".

Thanks for hearing me out.

Peter