Re: [LUG] Open Schools Alliance

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 08:15:59 +0000
"Aaron Trevena" <aaron.trevena@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 03/12/06, Peter Lloyd-Jones <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > (Who is sad that this group does not seem to care a toss about JMRI.)

I feel sad that you got that impression - there have been repeated
threads on the issues arising from the JMRI problems, including
detailed analysis of the underlying licences.

Sadly, some of the JMRI problems, IMHO, arise from the original choice
of licence. Deep seated problems like that can be difficult to solve
later on. I think I did what I could to highlight the issues as I
understood them. It may be that, no matter how much we care, the most
noticeable thing that the GLUG list can do in this situation is prevent
other free software and open source projects from getting into the same
situation in the future.

The GLUG has looked at licence problems before (see FEMM), it is always
worthwhile to raise these issues and there are people in the GLUG who
care deeply about software patents and the future of free software in
general. Not all G/LUG's made direct contributions to the fight against
the Computer Implemented Inventions Directive, we had at least three
members actively involved - including attending the DTI workshops to
put the case *against* software patents directly to UK Patent Office
and UK government officials.

> Actually we do, but there isn't much you can do about it on this list.

Absolutely. What we can do is discuss the issues, raise awareness etc.
The list isn't the right place for a campaign or direct action of some
other kind relating specifically to JMRI. Don't misinterpret that as a
"don't care" message. The GLUG rarely speaks with a single voice but
there are GLUG members who do care about JMRI and the implications for
other projects.

> I've raised the issue on the FFII uk list, and blogged about it, it's
> a very good example of why software patent's are harmful and already
> harm open source software, when many deny that to be the case.

Peter: What would you have liked the GLUG to do that we have not done?
Were you aware of what has been done, as Aaron mentions above, off-list?

--

Neil Williams