Re: [LUG] Open Source / JMRI

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 06:48:06 +0000
Peter Lloyd-Jones <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Neil
>
> Thanks for your letter, yes I am aware that you have been in contact with Bob.
> However what I fail to see is why this is relevant in this case.  (I am not
> implying your input was not important, but I do not think it has to do with
> the current problem).  Surely the problem is that KAM industries is claiming
> that they invented the system used (by both them and JMRI) to talk between
> the computer and the command station.  And they go on to say that Bob must
> pay them a royalty for every free copy of JMRI which has been distributed.

Whatever happens with the patents, KAM are also attacking JMRI via
their own licence:
http://www.dcglug.org.uk/archive/2006/11/msg00272.html

A particularly interesting part of the story is that Matt Katzer and
KAM Industries have been shipping JMRI decoder definitions as part of
their "Decoder Commander" product, without giving JMRI any credit for
it. For information on some of the evidence for that, please see:
http://jmri.sf.net/k/copycomparison.html

Matt is claiming that copyright law doesn't apply to his misuse of
the JMRI decoder definitions, and that JMRI isn't protected against
his infringement by our license:
http://jmri.sf.net/k/updates.html#2006-09-27

That is why this isn't a story just of software patents, the licence is
fundamental to the battle and, IMHO, it is a very weak foundation. :-(

--

Neil Williams