Re: [LUG] Copying to hidden directory

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 15:21:53 +0000
Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> OK, that's reasonable. You, presumably, don't feel like trusting the
> passphrase cache of your favourite browser?

Sorry, you have lost me there. My favourite browser is Galeon, even
though I am using kubuntu and not ubuntu.

> > Anytime I can't remember a password, user name or whatever I can
> > decrypt the file to look it up. And I put that file into a hidden
> > folder as an extra precaution. That is really all that I am using gpg
> > for at the moment.
>
> All I'm thinking is that the "extra precaution" really isn't anything
> of the sort - a simple find command will locate it, better to keep the
> file where it is easy for you to decrypt and update. As you prefer GUI
> ways of doing this, a normal directory would seem advisable - just set
> it to chmod 700 and the file(s) inside as chmod 600, just like your
> ~/.gnupg/ folder and contents.

OK, I have changed the .security folder to security (no dot), and
altered the permissions as per your suggestion.

By the way, I do not necessarily prefer a GUI. I started using
computers in the DOS days, and I even remember CP/M. (In fact when I
started it was all paper tape and punch cards and great big gray
boxes in air-conditioned rooms.) I am quite happy using a konsole screen
and I do understand that typing in commands can be far more powerful
than using a GUI.

When I was setting up databases back in my Windows days I did a lot of
the work at the keyboard, especially entering the code behind the
buttons etc. I still use the keyboard a lot when entering commands, eg
the enter key instead of picking up the mouse and clicking on OK.

Thanks for your advice
Neil Winchurst