Re: [LUG] Copying to hidden directory

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 14:53:43 +0000
Neil Winchurst <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> OK, I have carefully read all the above. At the moment I have no
> intention of using gpg for emails. It is just for me on my computer.
> I have a file which contains details of all my user names, passwords
> etc for the Internet along with my various pins. There is just too much
> to remember now. By having all the data in one encrypted file I need to
> make sure that I remember just one password, the one to decrypt that
> file.

OK, that's reasonable. You, presumably, don't feel like trusting the
passphrase cache of your favourite browser?

> Anytime I can't remember a password, user name or whatever I can
> decrypt the file to look it up. And I put that file into a hidden
> folder as an extra precaution. That is really all that I am using gpg
> for at the moment.

All I'm thinking is that the "extra precaution" really isn't anything
of the sort - a simple find command will locate it, better to keep the
file where it is easy for you to decrypt and update. As you prefer GUI
ways of doing this, a normal directory would seem advisable - just set
it to chmod 700 and the file(s) inside as chmod 600, just like your
~/.gnupg/ folder and contents.

> I did that when I was using Mandriva and I am setting it all up again
> in Kubuntu. I created the file in an editor and I was trying to save it
> in my hidden folder, which I have now done. Sorry, I didn't explain it
> fully before.

No problem.

--

Neil Williams