Re: [LUG] java run time part 2

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> I have received some help from members, but there still seem to be some
> problems.
>
> I tried to install a couple of java packages in order to get java
> working with my browsers.  The problem is that Sun require acceptance
> of their rules before the install can complete. When I used Adept to
> install I was not able to accept the rules because I did not see
> anywhere on screen to do so. This caused the package database to remain
> locked. I have cleared that.
>
> Now I cannot install any new packages because the two java files are
> still around and waiting to be fully installed.
>
> for example I tried to use apt-get to install a new package with the
> following result -
>
> neilwin@Minerva:~$ sudo apt-get install digikam-doc
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer
> required: libgwenhywfar38 libaqdtaus3 libqbanking4 libktoblzcheck1c2a
> libaqbanking16 libaqbanking-plugins-libgwenhywfar38 libaqhbci10
> libaqgeldkarte4 libchipcard2-0c2 libgwenhywfar-data libaqbanking-data
> Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them. The following extra packages
> will be installed: sun-java5-bin sun-java5-jre
> Suggested packages:
>   sun-java5-plugin ia32-sun-java5-plugin sun-java5-fonts
> ttf-sazanami-gothic ttf-sazanami-mincho Recommended packages:
>   gsfonts-x11
>   digikam-doc
>   sun-java5-bin sun-java5-jre
> 2 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 9 not upgraded.
> 2 not fully installed or removed.
> Need to get 40.8MB/70.6MB of archives.
> After unpacking 129MB of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
> Abort.
>
> As you can see kubuntu wanted to finish installing the two java
> packages as well as the new one I wanted. I cancelled it all.
>
> Until I can clear this up I am unable to upgrade or newly install
> anything. Would it be safe to remove or purge the two java programs so
> that they are no longer looking to be fully installed?
>
> I would be happy to finish the installation of those two programs
> instead, but I cannot see a way to accept the rules as required by Sun
> so I will end up with the package list hung again.
>
> Can anyone help to clear this up please?
>
> Neil Winchurst

I've found that if adept has hung and I try and close it I get a message
saying something like "uncommitted changes not completed, do you want to
quit" (a rough aproximation of the message) and if I say yes the next
time I go in to adept all the previously queued stuff is gone.

--
simon.robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.oldhouse-cottage.co.uk