Re: [LUG] Kubuntu - where are all the files?

On Friday 03 November 2006 11:47, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 10:44:52 +0000
>
> Mark Jose <kernowyon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Update -
> > Actually, apparently, if you delete the .hidden file as I mentioned, it
> > will re-install itself next update!
> > There is some advice on how to either permanently change the default Edgy
> > settings or see the hidden files anyway here -
> >
> > https://wiki.kubuntu.org/KubuntuHiddenFiles
> >
> > I still think it is a useless "feature" myself!
> >
> > Mark
>
> Thanks for your help. What a weird idea from the developers. I hadn't
> thought of hidden files.
> Anyway I first had to change the permissions on .hidden and then I
> cleared out all the files in the list. Now all the files are showing. I
> will have to see what it is like next time I log on.
>
> Thanks again
> Neil Winchurst

That should be fine Neil. They say that simply deleting the contents of the
file is fine and will not be affected when you update things. Deleting
the .hidden directory will result in it being recreated at update time - but
as I have been using the test versions until now, which I replace with the
next test version, I hadn't seen that happen.
This is a Kubuntu specific thing - KDE does not do that by default itself.  I
really can't see the reasoning behind it. Hiding the .something files in the
home directory is standard practice in KDE, although I unhide mine as I often
tweak the various config files there - but the .hidden thing in the root
folder is a new thing from Kubuntu.

Mark