Re: [LUG] Kubuntu - where are all the files?

On Friday 03 November 2006 08:43, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> New to kubuntu, I am a bit puzzled. Where are all the files? I mean the
> root files.  In my file manager I see my own files. However, when I
> moved up to the root folder / there was only /home and /media there.
> What about such folders as /etc, /bin, /lib/, /opt? Where on earth have
> they all gone to?
>
> I used Mandrake/Mandriva for years so this is all very strange to me.
> Can anyone solve the mystery for me please?
>
> TIA
> Neil Winchurst

Neil,
I have been using various distros for years, including Kubuntu, and this was a
new one on me too!  When I installed the test versions of Edgy, I noticed
the "missing" root directory files. In actual fact, they are simply hidden,
in the same way that files proceeded by a dot (e.g  .config ) are hidden in
your /home directory.
You can show them easily enough  -
In the / folder is a file called .hidden    - simply delete that file (or edit
it if you prefer) and all will be back to normal.
Exactly why this was implemented I have no idea - I suppose to avoid people
accidentally deleting system file - but, since that is not easy to do anyway,
I think the whole .hidden thing is a joke - and I told the Kubuntu devs the
same thing when it was put into the Edgy testing versions.
Anyway, thats how to show the /bin /etc .... files :)

Mark