Re: [LUG] Kubuntu tryout

On Monday 23 October 2006 14:44, Viv and Philip wrote:
> I tried Kubuntu on my fairly new desktop (an EI System from PC World)
> but, had problems with my 19 inch LG flat screen monitor which turned
> out to be Kubuntu not recognising the ATI graphics card. I could only
> get 640X480 resolution.
>
> It probably would have been easily fixable with the right driver but, I
> installed Ubuntu instead. That works fine and I am already familiar with
> it. I would be interested to know what you think as I am debating
> whether to go back and try it again.
>
> Viv

The ati driver is available from the "restricted" repository.
http://doc.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/desktopguide/C/hardware.html#graphics-cards
explains how to add the repository and set up the card.
If you are using Ubuntu, I would imagine the same driver is needed to get 3d
acceleration in there. It is possible to set the resolution higher in Kubuntu
(or other distros) without the 3d driver by manually editing the xorg.conf
file, but unless you are familiar with it, I would simply install the
relevant 3d driver.

Mark