Re: [LUG] Mail questions

On 20/10/06 15:57:50, Simon Avery wrote:
Personally, I'm a big fan of using dovecot as an imap server and
operating from that. Thunderbird handles imap reasonably well.

I found that balsa is better at IMAP. TBird had noticeable caching problems that led to interminable delays - and that was with the IMAP server on the LAN, 0.18ms away!

Balsa is, IMHO, easier to configure for separate From: fields per folder, it has an easier interface for moving messages between folders (via tabs) and it's not encumbered with pointless trademarks.

Plus balsa handles gnupg without the need for a plugin, it is faster than TBird when a previewed message needs to auto-retrieve a key and during the same process, it remains responsive whereas TBird did not - at least for me. Balsa also uses the gnome passphrase cache whereas TBird tried to use it's own.

However, the biggest problem was a mysterious amd64 one related to text entry in gecko-derived text entry widgets. Anything Gtk is fine, anything gecko and moving around with the cursor within a piece of text causes |l|i|n|e|s to be added which then disappeared as soon as I scrolled up or down. I still get it now in gecko browsers when entering text but I can workaround it there. Within an email window it was simply unusable. Never managed to pin it down though.
:-(

--

Neil Williams