[LUG] Mail questions

I'm starting to wonder, after first joining the DCLUG and being told
to use plain text rather than HTML(!), what is the benefit of using a
mail client vs a web based mail interface (like Googlemail). Certainly
with the web based system I can get access to my mail from anywhere
which to my mind is a huge benefit!

My second question is about encryption and PGP (or GNUPG); simply,
why? I've looked around at various faqs but they all seem to skip the
basic questions about encryption like this and wondered if any one
could fill me in?

Thanks,

--
Jon