Re: [LUG] Distros??

Good idea on the virtual machine idea; I've tried it in the past and
it's a really great way to test out different distributions!

I'm personally waiting to try OpenSuse10.2...I really like the look of
the new gnome menu and the integration of beagle etc from the outset
is certainly appealing. I'm put off 10.1 with all the reports of
problems with the yast(?) system not managing updates correctly?

Also, I don't know if anyone on here reads computer active but my dad
picked it up today and I was having a quick look through and noticed
their star letter: 'Pardon'?
The gist of what he had to say is that he was disapointed with Linux
from the ease of use perspective, and the ability to quickly find
documentation/assistance that is useful to newbies. He was also quite
negative about the communities helpfulness. This grated for me a bit
because my experience has been wholly different; although there have
been times when I've struggled to find that key piece of information
it's usually been for something more obscure, for the most part a
quick google search or a post to a forum/mailing list quickly results
in the answer from enthusiastic people willing to help. It just
frustrated me that people are so unappreciative of the hard work and
effort that the developers put in; and the kindness of the users who
are always willing to try and help you out.

Not sure this was the best post for this little rant but I needed to
get things of my chest! (Maybe it's time to start a blog!?)

On 19/10/06, Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Neil Winchurst wrote:
> > Thanks for that and all the answers so far. I tried Redhat first and
> > then moved on to Suse. Used that for a while and then moved to Mandrake
> > at about version 7. Have stayed there since, now on Mandriva2006.
> >
> > Reading the replies to my questions, I am wondering if I ought to
> > move on now. The general opinion seems to be that Mandriva is quite
> > good for newbies before moving on to something like Debian. Is that fair
> > comment?
> >
> > I have 134 Gb free on my hard disk at the moment. Would it be
> > possible/sensible to install a second distro for a trial run? I have
> > heard about dual booting but usually with Windows and Linux. So is my
> > idea feasible? And if so would it be terribly complicated/geeky?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Neil Winchurst
> >

> Well, I'll probably get flamed for this but you could try VMWare-Player
> on top of your existing install to try out other distros.  At least if
> it doesn't suit you only have to delete a couple of files.
>
> Other alternative to VMWare would be either QEmu or Xen.
>
> Rob
>

> --

Jon