Re: [LUG] Distros??

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 13:22:16 +0100
Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 19/10/06 10:23:01, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> > 2 Does anyone know which is the most used distro among lug members?
>
> This is only a rough indicator, based on the text entered by members in
> the "Favourite Distro" section of the Members Register - some entries
> may well be out of date. (In particular, I suspect a proportion of
> Mandrake users are actually now using Debian or Ubuntu - judging by
> list discussions.)
>
> Debian     :       28
> Mandrake   :       17
> SuSE       :       16
> Red Hat    :       15
> Fedora     :        9
> Ubuntu     :        8
> Gentoo     :        7
> Slackware  :        3
> Others     :       11
> Total      :      104
>
> FYI, there are 157 records quite a few members have not specified a
> favourite.
>

> Neil Williams
> =============
Thanks for that and all the answers so far. I tried Redhat first and
then moved on to Suse. Used that for a while and then moved to Mandrake
at about version 7. Have stayed there since, now on Mandriva2006.

Reading the replies to my questions, I am wondering if I ought to
move on now. The general opinion seems to be that Mandriva is quite
good for newbies before moving on to something like Debian. Is that fair
comment?

I have 134 Gb free on my hard disk at the moment. Would it be
possible/sensible to install a second distro for a trial run? I have
heard about dual booting but usually with Windows and Linux. So is my
idea feasible? And if so would it be terribly complicated/geeky?

Thanks
Neil Winchurst