Re: [LUG] NAS Storage

Viv and Philip wrote:
> I don't know if this will be of any help. I have been looking at various
> options myself, recently.>
> I have been looking at one of these :>
> http://www.netgear.co.uk/digital_home_sc101.php

Me too.

> But, there have been some bad reviews about drives overheating.

Also note that they use a proprietary format, so if the unit goes kaput
  you're going to need another one if you want to get the data out - you
can't just bung the drive into a pc to get at your stuff.

(See FAQ 2: http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101541.asp )

Damned shame as it's cheap and well featured. I was on the brink of
buying one when I found the above out.

Still looking for a cheap basic alternative that'll sleep automatically
and use minimum power/noise. The technology is improving all the time,
won't be long. (The NSLU2 has a huge following, but I want a single box)