Re: [LUG] NAS Storage

Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am looking at building a file server that would also allow me to work from
> home as well as work. However, I read an article in MacWorld about NAS
> storage and how much better it has got. 500gb out of the box together with
> ftp access, mysql and php and a web server to boot.
>
> What would the advantages be in running a NAS storage box instead of a purpose
> built file server please? What about the disadvantages? Has anybody got or
> using NAS storage please?
>
> Thanks
>
> Rich

Forgive me if I'm being a bit thick here, but I was always under the
impression that a "NAS Box" was simply a "fileserver" but rather than
being easily customisable, it was running an embedded OS with "builtin"
features.

For *me*, the pros/cons are as follows:
Pros/cons for a purpose built fileserver:
  + Fully customisable to your own needs, including
  + Ease of adding/removing various storage devices
  + Can add "other" peripherals later if required
  + Can be done "on the cheap"
  - Time between amassing the parts and having a fully working system
  - Noisey?  Maybe

Pros/cons for a "NAS Box":
  + Easy to setup
  + Should have all the regular file access methods installed already
  + Variety of storage options
  - Can be expensive
  - Can be hard to "upgrade" if required
  - Some can be geared towards a "Microsoft Windows" bias
    (ie has SMB but nothing else)

Now, if you're talking about SAN, that's a different matter.

Grant.