Re: [LUG] NAS Storage

Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am looking at building a file server that would also allow me to work from
> home as well as work. However, I read an article in MacWorld about NAS
> storage and how much better it has got. 500gb out of the box together with
> ftp access, mysql and php and a web server to boot.
>
> What would the advantages be in running a NAS storage box instead of a purpose
> built file server please? What about the disadvantages? Has anybody got or
> using NAS storage please?

Sounds to me like the key thing here is that you want to access it from
home.  Actually, how you do this is independent of how things are
stored, unless you want to combine the firewall/VPN parts you need into
the same box (which security purists would says is a Bad Thing, but if
you get the firewall tight it's OK).

If you do get a NAS box, then you'll have to buy or build a separate
firewall for the remote access;  if you use a Linux box you can just
port-forward from your basic router (or leave it with Public LAN if you
have enough IPs), and put the firewall (iptables) in the fileserver itself.

The other thing is that the NAS box is always just going to be that; a
fixed functionality box.  If you suddenly decide you want to run some
weird and wonderful service on your network, or install a tape drive or
DVD writer for backup, you're going to be stuck.  Anyway, configuring
Samba is good for the soul ;-)

Paul