Re: [LUG] NAS Storage

Michael Mortimore wrote:
>>  - Can be hard to "upgrade" if required
> alot of nas boxes have usb holes for a couple of extra drives
>
>>  + Should have all the regular file access methods installed already
>>  - Some can be geared towards a "Microsoft Windows" bias (ie has SMB but nothing
>> else)
> I've seen a few which don't even tell you what the interface is and
> want you to use their software.
> i've never seen one that provides nfs out of the box :(
>
> The linksys nslu2 can be hacked to give you a mini linux box and you
> can use other usb devices too eg webcam.
> http://www.tomsnetworking.com/2004/08/03/how_to_nslu2_hack_pt1/
> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/HomePage

I can recommend a NSLU2 as I have one.

They cost about £50 if you hunt around, they have two USB and a Ethernet
 port. Out of the box they are just a file share server (samba)
configured through a web interface. Just attach some USB harddisk.

If you want fun, slam in a USB hard disk, flash the firmware to
"debianslug" then you can bootstrap Debian unstable onto the HD and do
what ever pleases you after that.

Bear in mind they only have a ARM 266Mhz processor and 32Mb of ram (can
be extended if you are brave with a soldering iron). But you can still
do a lot with that.

--
Robin Cornelius
http://www.byteme.org.uk