Re: [LUG] SAP/linux in schools

On Tuesday 17 October 2006 06:51, Henry Bremridge wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 05:42:21PM +0000, paul sutton wrote:
> > Somehow I think it's going to take a big change to make anything
> > happen,  but we are getting there slowly.   I am trying to figure out
> > what exactly SAP is ,  is it a windows program  Unix program etc,  and
> > what it's for,  apart form some sort of business application.
> > I have found a website but I just want a simple explanation,  of course
> > if conveyed via the lug then it would be of interst to anyone else who
> > wants to know,  in the meantime I will carry on googling,  before
> > heading off to this evenings lug meet,
>
> Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAP_AG
> SAP Products page: http://www.sap.com/solutions/index.epx
>
> SAP is an Enterprise Resource Planning program. There are open source
> ones (Compiere which runs on oracle seems to be the best known one
> although there are others:
> http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=577)
>
> What ERP is link all aspects of a business together into one computer
> system:
> -   All Sales (from salesman, web, distributor etc)
> -   All Purchases (from contractor, purchasing manager etc)
> -   Inventory
> -   Finance (including data from banks)
>
> The biggest problem in creating such a database is the changes to
> peoples routines. Creating an ERP program takes a great deal of
> management time: try googling for "ERP disasters" eg in a year 2000
> story "Take Meta Group's damning finding, for instance: The average ERP
> implementation takes 23 months, has a total cost of ownership of $15
> million and rewards (so to speak) the business with an average negative
> net present value of $1.5 million"
>
> Once completed and assuming data input is accurate then all data can be
> managed by those who need it. For example I remember reading somewhere
> that Cisco state that they can have their year end accounts finished by
> 9 am on the 1 Jan. Which is pretty impressive
>

> --
> Henry
> Tue Oct 17 06:51:39 BST 2006

No - I think you'll find SAP is a way of extracting massive amount of contract
and training money from companies because they know that the computer
knowledge of most of their customers is greatly inadequate.
When a company tries to implement ERP and there are a few knowlegable people
in position to guide the implementation and stop people using MS office to
provide useless content then it can be quite usefull and save a company huge
amounts. In the UK this rarely happens as the people in power are generally
IT/complexity ignorant and like to think that power means they can ignore the
rules.
One company I worked for had a reasonably well implemented ERP system that was
undermined by salesbods selling things at below cost price and on a sale or
return basis  because they still got commission. We could have set the EPR
system to prevent this - until it transpired that the commission was repeated
all the way up the tree and selling at a loss paid the directors more than
running the company at a profit would.
Couldn't get that one into the shareholders report somehow....

I haven't used Compiere but if I could get  a version that ran on mySql or
postgres ( and there were 48 hours in the day) - and it had an html front
end/document management then I'd implement it as the core system for just
about everything.
Tom te tom te tom