Re: [LUG] SAP/linux in schools

On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 08:55:29AM +0100, Tom Potts wrote:

> No - I think you'll find SAP is a way of extracting massive amount of contract
> and training money from companies because they know that the computer
> knowledge of most of their customers is greatly inadequate.
> When a company tries to implement ERP and there are a few knowlegable people
> in position to guide the implementation and stop people using MS office to
> provide useless content then it can be quite usefull and save a company huge
> amounts. In the UK this rarely happens as the people in power are generally
> IT/complexity ignorant and like to think that power means they can ignore the
> rules.
> One company I worked for had a reasonably well implemented ERP system that was
> undermined by salesbods selling things at below cost price and on a sale or
> return basis  because they still got commission. We could have set the EPR
> system to prevent this - until it transpired that the commission was repeated
> all the way up the tree and selling at a loss paid the directors more than
> running the company at a profit would.
> Couldn't get that one into the shareholders report somehow....
>
> I haven't used Compiere but if I could get  a version that ran on mySql or
> postgres ( and there were 48 hours in the day) - and it had an html front
> end/document management then I'd implement it as the core system for just
> about everything.
> Tom te tom te tom

There are versions and this field seems to be expanding from when I
looked about 10 months ago (was looking for a corporate accounting system)
-   http://www.openmfg.com/
-   http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.407

But yes any implementation of such a massive software program into a
company demands top management buy-in and commitment to make it work.

This is not software that can be delegated to someone to implement.

--
Henry
Tue Oct 17 09:42:09 BST 2006