[LUG] SAP

On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 05:42:21PM +0000, paul sutton wrote:
> Somehow I think it's going to take a big change to make anything
> happen,  but we are getting there slowly.   I am trying to figure out
> what exactly SAP is ,  is it a windows program  Unix program etc,  and
> what it's for,  apart form some sort of business application.
> I have found a website but I just want a simple explanation,  of course
> if conveyed via the lug then it would be of interst to anyone else who
> wants to know,  in the meantime I will carry on googling,  before
> heading off to this evenings lug meet,

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAP_AG
SAP Products page: http://www.sap.com/solutions/index.epx

SAP is an Enterprise Resource Planning program. There are open source
ones (Compiere which runs on oracle seems to be the best known one
although there are others:
http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=577)

What ERP is link all aspects of a business together into one computer
system:
-   All Sales (from salesman, web, distributor etc)
-   All Purchases (from contractor, purchasing manager etc)
-   Inventory
-   Finance (including data from banks)

The biggest problem in creating such a database is the changes to
peoples routines. Creating an ERP program takes a great deal of
management time: try googling for "ERP disasters" eg in a year 2000
story "Take Meta Group's damning finding, for instance: The average ERP
implementation takes 23 months, has a total cost of ownership of $15
million and rewards (so to speak) the business with an average negative
net present value of $1.5 million"

Once completed and assuming data input is accurate then all data can be
managed by those who need it. For example I remember reading somewhere
that Cisco state that they can have their year end accounts finished by
9 am on the 1 Jan. Which is pretty impressive

--
Henry
Tue Oct 17 06:51:39 BST 2006