Re: [LUG] Ubuntu Trial

On Monday 16 October 2006 20:34, Simon Waters wrote:
> David Bell wrote:
> > Perhaps of interest to the foss enthusiasts:
> >
> > http://foss.ciac.org.uk/article43.html
>
> Interesting, although not that surprised, except perhaps how many CVS
> groups use Access extensively.
>
> Always surprised when end users use Access, because;
People use Access because it works for them. I know it only does 1/10th of
what you need and will really be a lock-in but it takes most users a couple
of years to find this out by which time its 'too late'. The same goes for
Word/PDF but that seems to take a lot longer - the FOSS movement is actively
pushing ODF still rather than supplying an HTML faced
document/spreadsheet/database 'document' management  package.
Its gonna look funny in a few years time when people finally get out of the MS
Office mindset and start asking why so much effort was wasted on a free
alternative to it!
Tom te tom te tom