Re: [LUG] GNU/Linux in schools

Rob Beard wrote:
> james kilty wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 2006-10-15 at 16:01 +0000, paul sutton wrote:
>>

>>> Can we have some ideas on how to rebut the MS is industry standard
>>> argument,
>>>

>> I see two.
>> The higher level argument is that if school children should be able to
>> use software, then they should have generalised skills to adapt to any
>> future programmes. Plus, Governments and Industry are moving fast to
>> GNU/Linux.
>> The lower level argument, is that MS has used the "Industry Standard"
>> argument to hypnotise everyone to believe they must use MS programmes
>> and programmes developed for Windows because that is what is used in
>> the world of work. Perhaps most of the training involves Office. oOo
>> not only provides the functions used in MSO but the menus and
>> presentation are very similar. This similarity carries across to many
>> other programmes (much to the disgust of many GNU/Linux users). Hence
>> it no longer applies.
>>
> With regards to the differences between MS Office and OOo, I found some
> interesting Blog posts...
>
> http://openoffice.blogs.com/openoffice/2005/10/transitioning_a.html -
> This one is a guide to moving over to OpenOffice.org although it doesn't
> seem to go into much detail of what the equivalents of frequently used
> commands are in OOo over MS Office.
>
> And there is this...
> http://openoffice.blogs.com/openoffice/2006/02/microsoft_offic.html - A
> blog post about MS Office 2007.  From experience the folks where I work
> have been using MS Office 2000 for a few years, I found going to MS
> Office 2003 to be a strange change to get used to but going to Office
> 2007 would be radically different (from what I saw at the Computer Trade
> Show '06 where MS was demonstrating Vista and MS Office 2007).
>
> Unless a whole load of users get training when going to a radically
> different version of Office then productivity could in theory go down
> quite a bit.  At least OpenOffice.org isn't that radically different -
> okay some things are in different places but once you get used to it is
> isn't too bad.
>
> I found a howto called OpenOffice.org Writer for Microsoft Word users
> which seems to only cover OOo 1.1 but I guess something like this would
> be a good start for users who are used to Word -
> http://documentation.openoffice.org/HOW_TO/word_processing/Word-to-OOo.html
>
> Rob

Dear Folks, 20061016

One major problem if trained only in MS office/Windows, is total
inability to work with major organisations who use other software as the
backbone of all systems,e.g.SAP
I work in office of a 46,000 odd desktop worldwide company and all info
is done through SAP.

Schools training in "IT" is abysmal.
We mainly have to tell newcomers how to forget their school training, do
it our way

--

Regards
Eion MacDonald (eionmac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)