Re: [LUG] Debian portage

Theo Zourzouvillys wrote:
> On Sunday 17 September 2006 12:07, Simon Waters wrote:
>> I think it a mistake to classify "GNU/Linux" as an OS, you should
>> compare a distro to something like MacOSX, or Windows, otherwise you'll
>> be perpetually unhappy, and confused.
>
> agreed - and this is the problem.

I don't think it is a problem in general, I think your perspective is
simply wrong.

Just because my car burns petrol, or shares the same manufacturer, I
don't assume every part is immediately interchangable with every other
petrol car, or every other Peugot.

> you can not offer "GNU/Linux binaries" [1] , you can only offer "Distro X
> binaries".

Sounds reasonable to me. I mean if you go down that route every binary
would have to support every platform, and it would end up like MacOSX
dual binaries, but for Debian there would be at least 11 variants, I
wouldn't have the free diskspace to install firefox.

Distros are different from each other for reasons. Get over it.

Sure the issue is how to handle distribution of software to multiple
platforms.

Xara are fighting how to package XaraLX for different distros, but I
couldn't get the Autopackage to install (heck half the time I can't even
decide which auto-package package I need, but of course XaraLX was
already bundled in non-free for Debian Sid since they had release source
(plus some x86 object code), and someone had packaged it.