Re: [LUG] Debian portage

On 17/09/06, Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Xara are fighting how to package XaraLX for different distros, but I
couldn't get the Autopackage to install (heck half the time I can't even
decide which auto-package package I need, but of course XaraLX was
already bundled in non-free for Debian Sid since they had release source
(plus some x86 object code), and someone had packaged it.

This does, of course, leave the question "why would anyone use XaraLX?" I tried it and found that in all respects apart from its rendering engine (which is in fact slower on the perceived time as it doesn't draw down but just draws it all simultaneously; also, inkscape is going to use the nice hardware-acceleratedness of cairo in .45 ) and its use of filter techniques (which Inkscape has in CVS and ergo .45) it's utterly inferior. Mainly the GUI is the problem, but the GUI is the only thing preventing me from using KDE.

--
Ben Goodger
#391382