Re: [LUG] Debian portage

On Sunday 17 September 2006 12:07, Simon Waters wrote:
> I think it a mistake to classify "GNU/Linux" as an OS, you should
> compare a distro to something like MacOSX, or Windows, otherwise you'll
> be perpetually unhappy, and confused.

agreed - and this is the problem.

you can not offer "GNU/Linux binaries" [1] , you can only offer "Distro X
binaries".

It gets worse when it's gui too.  "Distro X Version Y with KDE" or "Distro X
Version Y with Gnome" or "Distro X Version Y with QT" if you want to
application to integrate with the GUI "properly" :/

GNU/Linux could really do with a common, stable API for more software vendors
to start supporting it, as this is the only bad thing left imho (freedesktop
have solved almost all the "generic" GUI integration issues) for commercial
applications to start supporting linux nativly rather than through wine.

 ~ Theo

1 - Just to keep matt happy i'm adding "GNU/" to everything these days :-)

--
Theo P. Zourzouvillys
http://www.crazygreek.co.uk