Re: [LUG] Moving forward

Matt Lee wrote:

> If we come to a concensus that we want to work more on the message of free
> software and promoting GNU/Linux, then I will work on a new look website

I suspect that the vast majority of the website users are coming there
because they are already using GNU/Linux in some capacity.

There might be mileage in encouraging Desktop usage, as the stats
suggest not all our visitors have made the switch on the desktop.

Otherwise the main thing people hit the site for are instruction in
using "vi", or help configuring Apache (with Webmin -- losing battle if
you ask me).

But the crucial thing that drives all websites is content, especially
content people want. The Exeter Chess club website sucks mud design-wise
(sorry Dave but it does), but it gets four times the traffic that the
DCGLUG site gets, because someone (Dave) put a lot of time writing,
collecting, and organising content. My own personal site, still attracts
 a surprising amount of Oracle related searches, because it has content
on how to get started with certain aspects of the Oracle RDBMS (and most
of Oracles Oracle related content is behind a username/password so it
has quite good rank in the search engines for those queries).

So I suspect what is needed is articles like "How do I get started with
GNU/Linux", "How to set up my own webserver", "Set up a web cache for a
school" (or more likely how to restrict access to inappropriate
content), or even something as simple as "how to install Firefox on
Windows XP", which assume zero prior knowledge of GNU/Linux, or free
software, would probably attract traffic and make more converts that the
fanciest looking website.

Most people on most websites, only visit the single page the search
engines return to them. There are exceptions, people out shopping may
buy related products, check the delivery details, or look around before
they hit "checkout", but even then on middle or high value items I've
quite often hit "add to cart", "checkout", and am gone before I can
appreciate the subtleties of the navigation menu. But as such as long as
the individual articles are well laid out, and look good, things like
consistent "look and feel" to the site are irrevelant to anyone but a
prospective member (and I don't think they'll be joining any other GLUGs
in the region).

Last weeks stats by "visits" (Unique IP, Browser, per day).

Windows         1262 (61.5%)
Linux           385 (18.8%)
Unknown         357 (17.4%)
Macintosh       40 (1.9%)
FreeBSD         5 (0.2%)
SunOS           4 (0.2%)

Explorer 6.x    769 (37.5%)
Firefox         615 (30.0%)
Unknown         326 (15.9%)
Konqueror       96 (4.7%)
Explorer 5.x    77 (3.8%)
Other Mozilla based     41 (2.0%)
Opera           41 (2.0%)
Explorer unknown version        35 (1.7%)
Ask Jeeves      22 (1.1%)
Safari          21 (1.0%)
Lynx    5 (0.2%)
Galeon          3 (0.1%)