[LUG] Debian portage

Hi

Is there an easy and reliable way for me to download and compile packages rather than simply extracting the binary, but still having dpkg do all the stuff? Basically I'd like to be able to custom-compile things for my subarch other than the kernel, as I'm certain k7 would be optimisable to be better than raw i386 - so is there any way to do this with apt, but in an automated manner a la Portage? I don't want to be mucking about with manually running configure, make, make install and then deleting the source code - I'd rather have apt handle in the same as it does all the binaries, i.e. almost perfectly.

--
Ben Goodger
#391382