Re: [LUG] Router problem - maybe not.

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006 09:29:44 +0100
"Robin Cornelius" <robin.cornelius@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > can't create /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient.leases: Permission denied
>
> Was this run as root? the prompt sugessts that it was run with your
> nomal user account "neil" ?

You are right, I never thought to log in to root. New results

Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.3
Copyright 2004-2005 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP

Listening on LPF/eth0/00:13:46:8f:17:c1
Sending on   LPF/eth0/00:13:46:8f:17:c1
Sending on   Socket/fallback
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
DHCPOFFER from 192.168.1.1
DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPACK from 192.168.1.1
bound to 192.168.1.2 -- renewal in 1710 seconds.

Could this have sorted it out.  Renewal of the lease in 1710 seconds
doesn't sound very much????

> > and yes, I can ping to 192.168.1.1
> >
> > > Do you have web configuration on the router as well? can you log in to
> > > this (possibly via the 2nd windows pc) and does it have any diagnostics
> > > etc. eg ping. Can you ping back to the address given by ifconfig.
> > >

> Routers neally always have a web configuration page. If you open a
> broswer and goto http://192.168.1.1 (on your network) you should see
> the routers page and be asked for a username and password (look in the
> router manual or the bottom of the router for defaults)
>
> Then some routers allow you to do network tests etc from their setup web page.
>
> This certainly all looks to be a dhcp problem.

Yes, I do have a web configuration set-up for the router. I have had a
look, but I do not really have enough knowledge to risk making any
changes. I did run the ping test which worked OK.

Neil Winchurst