Re: [LUG] Router problem - maybe?

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 09:12:50 +0100
Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Neil Winchurst wrote:
> > At the end of May I started using a broadband connection.
> > Mandriva2006
> > Eclipse broadband
> > D-Link DSL-G604T router.
>
> What is the network configuration of the PC?
>
> (If you're not sure, copy the contents of /etc/network/interfaces in a
> reply.)

I don't have this file on the computer.

> It sounds like the PC is booting with the wrong config - to the point
> where it cannot find the network connection. Follow Robin's advice and
> isolate *which* components of the network are still working before you
> reboot the router.

But, in that case, why did it all work OK for three months?

> Check the boot messages for DHCP commands which may be overriding your
> config.
>
> Also, check /etc/resolv.conf which may have been overwritten. This would
> make it hard to locate local devices and could disable DNS resolution if
> the local nameserver cannot be found.

I don't have this file.

> If you set your local DNS on the router, the IP address of the router
> should be your nameserver. If you run bind on the PC, the nameserver IP
> should be the static IP of the PC.

I don't understand all that. The router was set up for me. All I did
was plug it in to the computer and it worked.

> Final thing to check is '# route'. The PC should have a default gateway
> which in turn can access the internet, so it's usually the router.

I ran /sbin/route and have attached the output

Meanwhile....my wife has her laptop downstairs and uses a wireless
connection to the router. This is still working fine, with no need to
reboot the router. Is that significant?

Neil