Re: [LUG] Gnome? - never

On Tue, August 22, 2006 3:43 pm, Aaron Trevena said:
> What I'd really like would a slim-lined gnome, something like :
> panel, core gnome apps (excluding evolution, gaim, etc) and a very
> lightweight WM.
>
> I haven't bothered to look at it properly but will probably try out
> more options when I've backed up my hard drive and attempt to upgrade
> from FC3 to FC5 or FC6.
>
> Anybody had any luck with a bare-bones gnome setup?
>
> Cheers,
>
> A.

You could have a custom .xinitrc file (this works if you login to the
command line and use "startx" to get into a GUI... I forget what file you
need if you use GDM/KDM/XDM) that starts your chosen window manager, and
also starts your gnome-panel and core apps in the background.

However, in my experience, if you start the gnome-panel on it's own (ie
you've already fired up SawFish, you have an XTerm open and run
gnome-panel from the XTerm) then it seems to start up a whole load of
extra clough with it... so I gave up trying to have *just* the panel
running, etc.

Kicker, on the other hand (the KDE Panel) seems to be quite happy starting
on its own without any other KDE things running... it takes a while to
come to life, but it gets there eventually.

Grant.